Tuesday 13 January 2009

Playing

A Hare in the Grass - Pastel on paper

I haven't sat down to a full art day for some time now, the distance on the calendar between my last full day (that actually produced anything) and this one feels long and I felt a prickle of anxiety this morning as I awoke and remembered what day it was, that familiar feeling of expectation to do something fabulous creeping up my spine. I decided I didnt want to burden myself with the pressures of producing a masterpiece, after such a long time idle from getting down to business, it would probably be creative suicide to have an attitude like that anyway - best thing is to get back to the fun side of stuff, get all the different mediums out and mess around.

So this morning I did a small pastel drawing of a hare sitting in a sunny field - I feel very drawn towards this magnificent animal and have often drawn him in my sketchbook. I once did a very nice monoprint of a hare but left it at that as I felt I ought to be doing other, more serious work - lets face it, theres no fun in being serious when it comes to creating so Ive decided to let him loose in some of my newer works (that are on the cards).

As well as this tiny piece, I have begun an oil pastel on board of a moon gazing soul, a white winter hare and it is now on the table drying out until its ready for the next coat to be applied...more about this next week when its finished.

The pleasure in today was painting or drawing with nothing in mind...by which, I mean making art for arts sake rather than for a purpose. When I create with financial gain in mind my work is marred by something, like an utter lack of spirit. I can personally identify the pieces that have been rushed out with such a frame of mind and these works are all languishing in a portfolio and will probably never see the light of day because they lack the essential essence I like to see and feel in an art piece.

The same can be said when I apply big dollops of pressure to create something that in my imagination, is already framed and hanging in a gallery...this is a burden that weighs much too heavily on my little shoulders and from the outset makes the process of creating less of a joy and more of a chore.

I guess we learn as we go along that if we play with our art, let it just emerge from us in all its glory then we stand a chance of it being honest and truthful, it will tell its own story and come alive by its own essence ~ one that can only be achieved when the artist is painting for pure pleasure purposes.

I intend to apply this aspect to my random meetings with my art, like those that occur at 9pm at night when my little one is asleep and a precious hour or so can be claimed as mine...I intend to torment myself during the day with thoughts of putting brush or pastel or crayon to paper and canvas and delight myself with my imaginings until I can let myself loose on it for real.

Make some art playtime for yourself, find a chunk of time in your busy schedule to sit with paints and crayons and see what unfolds before your eyes. How many of us (me included) have put off creating, even for just half an hour, when we are thinking deep down that its not worth the effort if its not going to be an instant masterpiece? Take your time, release the self imposed pressures and burdens we inflict upon ourselves and let your little artist out to play.

Take tiny steps towards playing with art.

Relax

Enjoy

Have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, and thank you for visiting my Blog today. If you would like to leave a comment, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...